- Discover CSUB
- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- ASI (Student Government)
- Antelope Valley Campus
- Campus Dining
- Career Education & Community Engagement (CECE)
- Children's Center
- Counseling Center
- Health, Safety And Wellness
- Housing & Residence Life
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Financial Services
- Student Organizations
- Student Recreation Center
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Student Union
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- News & Information
- About Mathematics @ CSUB
- Prospective Students
- Math Academic Programs
- Department Directory
- Schedules and Course Descriptions
- For Students and Alumni
- Job Openings
- Contact Information
Prove the theorem for success!
If you are thinking about earning a degree that will provide you with a wide array of possibilities for a career in mathematics-related fields, then you have come to the right place. Our department is an exciting, friendly, and supportive environment. Faculty members take pride in their excellence in both teaching and research, and students frequently pursue directed research alongside faculty. You will find a strong sense of community among our faculty and students; we invite you to explore the world of mathematics with us!
We offer programs of undergraduate study leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with five possible concentrations:
- Applied Mathematics
- Teaching Mathematics (may include a blended option combining B.S. and Single Subject Credential)
- Theoretical Mathematics
Students who complete this program will be prepared for a broad range of opportunities in business, government, and industries, as well as being prepared to undertake graduate study in mathematics, statistics, economics, and related disciplines. A minor in Mathematics and a minor in Applied Statistics are available to students majoring in other subject areas.
For working mathematics teachers, the Department of Mathematics offers a Master of Arts degree in Teaching Mathematics. The graduate program enables educators to build on their own experiences while deepening their understanding of the mathematics at the secondary school level.
Please visit our Academic Programs for more details about our programs of study, funding opportunities, and job and internship opportunities. Please click on the links at left for more information about the Department of Mathematics at CSUB, and contact us if you have any questions about this exciting and challenging field.
Department of Mathematics
California State University, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1022
Phone: (661) 654-3151
Fax: (661) 654-2039
Office: Science III, Room 228
- 2015 Career Cast: Actuary, Mathematician. and Statistician ranked in the top 5.
- Mathematician, Statistician, Actuary have all ranked among the best jobs in America. See "The 10 Best Jobs of 2014" for more details.
- Interested in scholarships? Please visit our Funding opportunities page.
- Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics and Science have the highest average salary projection.
- Have plans for the summer? Consider participating in a REU program. Please visit our facebook page for links to different REUs.
- You are encouraged to visit the chair's welcome page.
"The CSUB Department of Mathematics offers a very strong educational experience. The highly talented faculty is both easily accessible and committed to high quality undergraduate instruction and mentoring. One leaves this department with a wealth of experience, quite well prepared to pursue a career in industry, academia, or the government. I certainly did."
Assistant Professor of Mathematics,
University of Houston,
CSUB Mathematics BS 1998