from California State University, Bakersfield
APPLYING FOR GRADUATION (GRAD CHECK) WITH A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE
You are eligible to apply for graduation after accumulating at least 150 quarter units. You are encouraged to apply at least two quarters before your expected date of graduation. We recommend that you meet with your major academic advisor to review your academic record and determine the term in which you will be completing your final degree requirements.
To ensure that you have all the information you need to complete this process on time, we have put together a checklist of steps you should take as you prepare to file for your graduation.
1. Log on to MyCSUB and review your “Academic Requirements” report. Check if you have successfully completed or are in the process of completing (including your currently enrolled courses) all the General Education, and your major and minor requirements. Be sure to check the appropriate Course Catalog.
2. The “Academic Requirements” report is an interactive tool that allows you to review current and up-to-date details regarding your progress toward degree completion. If you think you have completed the requirements for graduation but your “academic requirements” shows they are still outstanding, meet with your academic advisor and review your records to determine if you should seek any course waiver or substitution.
3. It is your responsibility to make sure that any waiver or substitution forms signed by the Dean or Department Chair are submitted to the Evaluation Unit in the Office of Admissions and Records.
4. It is your responsibility to make sure that the Office of Admissions and Records receives your official transcript, if you have attended any other institution since your enrollment at CSUB.
5. Complete your Application for the Baccalaureate Degree (see links under "Status" in table below) by the appropriate deadline, pay the $55 application fee, and submit the form with proof of payment to the Office of Admissions and Records.
Payment of Graduation Application Fee:
The application form and a $55.00 fee ($55.00 for re-application) should be taken to the Cashier's Office. Payment can also be made online with a credit card. A receipt of the transaction must accompany the application if paid online. After payment of the fee, submit the printed application form to the Evaluations Unit in the Office of Admissions and Records.
Application Forms and Filing Deadlines:
Term in which you will complete your degree requirements
Deadline to Apply
||January 27, 2014
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER APPLYING FOR GRADUATION
The evaluators will perform an initial evaluation of your progress toward degree completion using the appropriate catalog for the General Education and your major and minor requirements. A degree check analysis will be sent to you by email within four to six weeks after receiving your application.
Exceptions, Waiver and Substitutions:
If there is any change in your major or minor requirements, it will be your responsibility to meet with your department chair or deans to get the necessary waiver and/or substitution. All approved waiver and/or substitution forms must be forwarded to the Evaluation Unit within the Admissions and Records Office no later than the beginning of the quarter you plan to graduate.
The Final Degree Check:
A final review of your academic record will be completed at the end of the term in which you have applied to graduate. If you have completed all the degree requirements, your degree will be awarded. If you have not completed all the degree requirements at that time, you will be notified via email of any outstanding requirements with further instructions. We recommend that you contact your evaluator with any questions upon receipt of this notice.
If you do not qualify for graduation at the end of the quarter for which you applied, you must submit a new application for the quarter you plan to complete the requirements. There is a $55 fee for re-applying.
All candidates for baccalaureate degrees from CSUB must complete a minimum of 45-quarter units in residence at CSUB, of which 36-quarter units must be earned in upper division courses and 18 upper division quarter units must be in the major.
Graduation with Honors:
The requirements for graduation with Honors are the following:
1. Completion of a minimum of 60 graded quarter units in residence
2. A minimum of 3.30 grade point average in all units at CSUB
3. The overall grade point average for an undergraduate must be within the honor categories:
• 3.30 - 3.59 Cum Laude
• 3.60 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
• 3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude
The list of "Candidates" for graduation with honors is based on all course work completed through winter quarter for the annual commencement in June. Final calculations for academic honors are based on all work completed through the last quarter attended.
You must notify the Office of Admissions and Records with any changes to your mailing address after the Application for Graduation has been submitted. Failure to provide a current address may delay the response of the application and/or diploma.
Diplomas will be mailed within four to six weeks after the date of graduation, or within two weeks from the actual degree award date. If you want to pick-up your diploma, indicate “pick-up” on your application for graduation. If you arrange for someone to pick up your diploma, he/she must have written authorization from you, and provide proper identification.
Proof of Graduation:
Your official transcript with degree conferral date, not your diploma, is considered your official proof of graduation. Should you need proof of graduation for any reason before your diploma is released, you may fill out Transcript Request Form and check “degree recorded” so your transcript will be released with degree conferral date.
Students wishing to continue taking classes after receiving a Bachelor's Degree must re-apply for admission to the university as a graduate student. Students may apply online at www.csumentor.edu.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable commencement ceremony. This event provides an opportunity for family members to honor candidates for graduation in an annual ceremony held at the conclusion of every spring quarter.
Click here for more information about the upcoming Commencement .